Since Almirall was founded in 1943, many events have marked our history. The most notable aspect is perhaps not a specific event, but rather the company's growth over these years. And there is still a long way to go!
- Foundation of Laboratorios Almirall, S.A.
Start of industrial and commercial activity of Laboratorios Almirall, S.A.
- Foundation of the Spanish pharmaceutical company Prodes, S.A.
- Launch of Prodesmicina, first refund product of Prodes, S.A. in Spain.
- Almirall starts its research and development activities.
- Launch of Diazepan Prodes in Spain.
Building of the raw materials chemical plant in Sant Celoni (Barcelona - Spain).
Start up of the Pharmaceutical Plant in Sant Andreu de la Barca (Barcelona - Spain).
Start of the Sant Feliu de Llobregat Research and Development Centre (Barcelona - Spain).
- Construction of the Pharmaceutical Plant in Sant Just Desvern (Barcelona - Spain).
- Installation of a new raw materials plant in Sant Andreu de la Barca (Barcelona - Spain).
Almirall starts its activities in the oncology field.
- Launch of the gastropokinetic clebopride in Spain, first product of in-house research with licenced abroad.
- Start up of the Pharmaceutical Plant in Sant Andreu de la Barca (Barcelona - Spain).
- Acquisition of the Spanish pharmaceutical companies Funk, S.A. and Berenguer Beneyto, S.A.
- Establishment of Prodesfarma, S.A.
- Launch of the antacid almagate in Spain.
- Launch of topical anti-inflammatory agent piketoprofen in Spain.
- Almirall is awarded the 1st prize for l’Aplicació de la Qualitat al Procés o al Producte Industrial (Application of Quality in Processes or Industrial Products), from the Generalitat de Catalunya.
- Acquisition of Infale, S.A. in Spain.
- Almirall becomes the Spanish market leader.
- Acquisition of Farmasimes in Spain.
- Launch of the gastroprokinetic cinitapride in Spain.
- Launch of the antihistame ebastine in Spain and concession of licences on an international scale.
- Further acknowledgement of Almirall with the lst Prize for Application of Quality to the Industrial Process of Product, awarded by the Autonomous Government of Catalonia.
- Galeno award as an acknowledgement to the scientific work of Almirall.
- Acquisition of the Belgian pharmaceutical company Sintesa and creation of the affiliate in Belgium.
- Foundation of Prasfarma, a company specialising in marketing oncology and hospital products (a joint venture between Prodesfarma and Asta Médica in Spain).
- Launch of the anti-inflammatory medicine aceclofenac in Spain.
- Acquisition of the Portuguese pharmaceutical company Probios and creation of the affiliate in Portugal.
Opening of the new Almirall Headquarters in Barcelona (Spain).
- 1st Prince Philip Award for Business Excellence in the Technological Effort category, awarded by the Ministry of Industry and Energy.
- Galeno award as an acknowledgement to the scientific work of Almirall.
Opening of the enlargement and remodelling of the Pharmaceutical Plant of Sant Andreu de la Barca (Barcelona - Spain).
- Launch of the anti-inflammatory drug aceclofenac in Latin America, Portugal and Korea.
- Launch of the antiinflammatory aceclofenac in Great Britain. First Spanish R&D product commercialised in this country.
- Commercialisation of the antihistamine ebastine in Japan.
- Creation of Laboratorios Almirall, S.A., as a result of the merger between the Grupo Farmacéutico Almirall, S.A. and the Grupo Prodesfarma.
- Completion of the second extension phase of the Sant Celoni Chemical Plant (Barcelona - Spain).
- Approval for commercialisation of the anti-migraine almotriptan on behalf of the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) in the EEUU. First Spanish R&D product in this country.
- Approval for commercialisation of the anti-migraine almotriptan in 16 European countries, through the procedure of Mutual Recognition.
- Launch of the antimigraine almotriptan in Spain.
- Prize for Technological Innovation 2000, bestowed by the Autonomous Government of Catalonia.
- Acquisition of all the shares of Prasfarma to Asta Medica.
- Launch of the anti-migraine almotriptan in Europe and EEUU.
Opening of Almirall Target Validation Unit in the Scientific Park of Barcelona (University of Barcelona).
The anti-migraine almotriptan wins the Premio Galien 2001 in the section Prize for the best drug of the year in Spain.
- Creation of the affiliate in Mexico.
- Acquisition of the French pharmaceutical company Pharmafarm and creation of the affiliate in France.
- Launch of the antihistamine ebastine in France.
- Launch of the antihistamine ebastine in Germany, Portugal and Italy.
- Creation of the affiliate in Italy.
Start of the building project of the Development Centre in Sant Feliu de Llobregat (Barcelona - Spain).
- Global award to Spanish Research, Development and Innovation (R&D&i) and Panorama award for the Almogran antimigraine.
- In several occasions, Almirall has received the maximum grade in the "Acción Profarma" by the Ministry of Science and Technology with the aim to promote Spanish pharmaceutical industry effort and involvement in innovation.
- Almirall is awarded the ISO-14001:96 environmental management certification.
- The anti-migraine almotriptan receives approval to be sold in Canada.
- Creation of the affiliate in Germany.
- IX Príncipe Felipe Awards for Business Excellence in the category of Business Competitiveness -Large Enterprises-, awarded by the Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Commerce.
- Launch of the anti-migraine almotriptan in Canada.
- Almirall wins the "Best of European Business" award for innovation given by the strategic consultant Roland Berger.
- In order to concentrate its strategic business areas, Almirall is selling to Merck, KGaA the commercial division Prasfarma and its hospital/oncology products, reserving the right to co-promote the drug Campto (irinotecan) in Spain. The sale includes the division's cytostatics production plant in Manlleu.
- Launch of the antacid Almax Masticable 1g Soft Tablet.
- The head office company name has gone back to Laboratorios Almirall, S.A.
Opening of the new Italian affiliate facilities.
- Almirall acquires Sofotec (Center of Excellence for Inhalation Technology, located in Bad Homburg - Germany) to Meda.
Opening of the Sant Feliu de Llobregat Research Centre (Barcelona - Spain).
- Almirall acquires a portfolio of 8 products from Shire plc.
Almirall acquires Hermal, the European prescription dermatology business of Reckitt Benckiser.
- Almirall again receives the ISO 14001:2004 Environmental management certificate
- Almirall is floated on the stock market and is listed on the Spanish continuous market.
- Opening of affiliates in Austria, Poland, Switzerland and the United Kingdom-Ireland.
- Almirall in Germany receives the Golden Tablet award as best company in the dermatology category.
- Laboratorios Almirall, S.A. is now called Almirall, S.A.
- Opening affiliate Nordic countries
- Aclidinium monotherapy was filed for registration in the US(June) and Europe (July).
- Completed the concentration of pharmaceutical plants. Cessation of manufacture for third parties.
- New brands marketed by Almirall: Acktikerall® (5-fluorouracil + salicylic acid), for keratosis actinic in Germany and the UK, Libertek® (roflumilast), for COPD, in Spain and Sativex® (THC and CBD), for multiple sclerosis spasticity, in Germany, Denmark and Spain.
- Corporate developments agreements:
- - Aclidinium, for COPD, licensed in Japan.
- - Ebastine, for allergic rhinitis and idiopathic urticaria, in China and Southeast Asia.
- - Libertek® (roflumilast), for COPD, in Spain.
- - Cipralex® (scitalopram), antidepressant, in Italy.